Garnet Tennis Rallies to Defeat Haverford 6-3, Clinch Spot in Centennial Playoffs
SWARTHMORE, Pa. - Visiting Haverford took a 2-1 lead following doubles play, but the Swarthmore College men's tennis team stormed back, sweeping singles 2-through-6 to overtake the Fords 6-3 from the Faulkner Courts on Tuesday evening.
The victory clinches the Garnet (8-9, 7-1) a spot in the upcoming Centennial Conference tournament.
Junior Mark Wee and sophomore Max Bressman both finished 2-0 for the day. Wee took No. 3 singles 6-4, 6-0 over Haverford's Will Garrett, Bressman won at the No. 4 slot 6-2, 6-3 over Natty Sergay, while the two combined to earn an 8-1 win at the No. 2 doubles position.
The Fords took the early advantage, taking two of three from the doubles competition, besting Swat in close 8-6 matches from the No. 1 and No. 3 positions.
Despite the early hole, the Garnet stormed back with vengance, taking singles No. 2 through No. 6 in consecutive order to win the match over the rival Fords. A victory at No. 3 singles by Wee sealed the win for Swat.
Swarthmore will vie for the No. 2 seed in the Centennial Conference when it travels to Franklin & Marshall on Saturday.
1. Kevin Caulfield (HAVMTN) def. Stephen Youngblood (SWATMTN)
6-4, 1-6, 12-10
2. Zak Kelm (SWATMTN) def. Hailiu Yang (HAVMTN) 6-3, 6-0
3. Mark Wee (SWATMTN) def. Will Garrett (HAVMTN) 6-4, 6-0
4. Maxwell Bressman (SWATMTN) def. Natty Sergay (HAVMTN) 6-2, 6-3
5. Malik Mubeen (SWATMTN) def. Ankur Arya (HAVMTN) 6-0, 6-2
6. James Wieler (SWATMTN) def. Michael Gelberg (HAVMTN) 6-0, 6-1
1. Kevin Caulfield/Danny Himelstein (HAVMTN) def. Zak
Kelm/Stephen Youngblood (SWATMTN) 8-6
2. Mark Wee/Maxwell Bressman (SWATMTN) def. Will Garrett/Hailiu Yang (HAVMTN) 8-1
3. Michael Gelberg/Ankur Arya (HAVMTN) def. Malik Mubeen/James Wieler (SWATMTN) 8-6